Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, July 2, 2010

Life lesson

I know, 3 posts in one day - cool it Al - but I just needed to vent.

I have realized a couple of things tonight.
One: You can't always be a super mom.
Two: Things are going to go wrong, especially when you think things are going really well.
Three: It's how you react to things going wrong that makes you a super mom.
Four: I need to stop trying to be a perfect mom and just roll with the punches.

Dennis was at his part time gig giving out beer samples. I was at home with Lillian for the afternoon. It was going SO well. We went for a nice stroll around the neighborhood. I fed her peas and prunes for dinner (weird combo, right?) And she ate REALLY well! We went upstairs and I read her three books - yes, three! Then I gave her a bath and she had a great time in the bath. I dressed her and got her all ready for bed.
Then we had to wait for Den to get home so we could give her the hgh shot and then I could breastfeed her and put her to bed. So, I sat her on the bed and read her a "night night" story, sang to her, played with her to keep her occupied while we waited for him to get home. Well..one of the things that kept her occupied were her rings. She was having fun playing with them put kept gagging on one. So I joked, "Lily, you better stop sticking it so far into your mouth or you're going to throw up on my side of the bed!" and what do you know, two seconds later peas and prunes comes right back up. Ugh.
A baby throwing up is the saddest, most disturbing thing ever! I will never get used to it :( And of course it came out her nose and she sneezed pea throw up on me. GROSS.
And thats what my husband walks in on. Throw up on the bed, pea throw up sneeze on me, I'm almost in tears, Lily's screaming...ugh. So we had to give her another bath, get her ready for bed again, give her the shot and by the time we were ready to breastfeed she was SO tired.

And I feel so bad because I flipped :( I hate when things like that happen. I was expecting my husband to come home, look at all I've done and say, "wow honey, you handled everything perfectly while I was gone!" And maybe that's the downfall of my thinking - perfect. I cannot be perfect. Maybe "perfect" is dealing with things without flipping out. So I need to learn to do that. And maybe, I should just start expecting that things will most likely not go my way a majority of the time :P But, that I can deal with it when it doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, honey...these kinda things happen to mommies everyday! I woke up one morning telling Coop about how we were going to be more Zen-like...we were going to go for morning walks, do our itsy-bitsy yoga, watch baby Einstein everyday...yeah, and then we got to lunch and all that crap was thrown out the window! We just have to do the best we can everyday and if sometimes we lose our *superness* it's okay! We all flip sometimes...Coop has looked at me like I'm crazy as tears are running down my face...I'm sure he's thinking "my mom is nuts!"

    You have so much to deal with everyday and you love Lily with all of your being...YOU ARE A SUPER MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh poor Lily... and poor Mommy. Pea sneezes can't be much fun. But stuff happens and perfect doesn't exist. :) You're still a super mom though!

    ReplyDelete