Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bye Bye Baba

Baba and Pink Bear. What a match!
I don't know how that little girl named her pacifier "baba" when we always called it "paci" but that's what LB named it. And now she's old enough to see it, ask for it and smile when she gets her hands on it. It's sweet and cute. She only has it at nap time, night time and occasionally in the car. I bring it to doctors visits for blood draws but it's not useful for that anymore. I don't think we necessarily need it for sleep time anymore. The first time we sleep trained Lily she wasn't a baba-fan. She didn't get really attached to it until after I weaned (understandably.) So I think that she would be fine at sleep times and the car is more for my sanity than for anything else.

So tonight I explained to Lily that she was a big girl now and tonight was going to be her last night with her baba. I said she could have it nap time tomorrow and then we'd gather them all up and put them away for baby brother or sister whenever they come.

And I cried.

My baby is no longer a baby! With her legs hanging over the rocking chair and her unblinking stare into my eyes while I explained this to her. Oh man, I just hugged her close and wished I didn't have to take this last little bit of babyhood from her! But the truth is, I wanted to break the paci habit before age 2 and I'm worried about what prolonged use will do to her teeth. We're at a good spot, medically, right now which means we're at a good spot emotionally too so now is as good a time as any!

Bye Bye Baba!

No comments:

Post a Comment