Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lily's New Bracelet

Dennis and I worry. I mean hello, we are parents! But we worry about extra little things, things some people go their whole lives without even knowing enough to worry about them. I think my #1 worry is that we will be in a car wreck and I will be unresponsive and unable to tell the paramedics about Lily. (#2 worry is that someone will take Lily - everyone's worst nightmare!)
In the beginning Dennis and I made notecards of her medication, special phone numbers and her diagnoses (is that how you spell that word? weird plural word...?) and we left them in my glovebox, purse and her diaper bag. We even bought stickers to stick on the side of her carseat but those didn't turn out so well. 
So, we decided to order her a special bracelet just for her. We were a little concerned about a baby with a bracelet but I was more concerned about people knowing the most important parts of her medical specialness (like that?) 
Once we decided on a bracelet we had to decide on what to put on there. Because really, she has a lot of Dx's and a medical tag only has so much space. Plus, the more you put on there the harder it is to read. So we came up with the most imperative things a paramedic would need to know and we had it made 2 weeks ago. It just came in the mail today! 
Lily doesn't seem to mind it so far. She really didn't even notice it until I started trying to get a good picture of it. It fits well and it's really cute! It's something she can grow into as well which is what we were looking for. 

Front says: Hypopituitary

Heart and Pearl charms

Stylish!

So the front says the most important thing: Hypopituitary (Panhypopituitarism obviously did not fit!) 
The back has her two important medical needs if she were in a accident. The first being "cortisol deficient" this is what her body needs triple of if she were hurt or in times of stress and the second says "growth hormone" so that hopefully they can deduce that she is also hypoglycemic if she does not make growth hormone. 

It was a little hard to choose what to put on there. I wanted to put everything, of course, but then no one would be able to read it! I also thought about having just her name on the front and then having more on the back but again, how could you read all that? I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out though. We'll see how well it wears. Hopefully we'll never need it but it's there if and when we do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment