Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sleep Deprivation

We nearing that dreaded wall of sleep deprivation. The blurry eyed, dizzying, nauseating, confusing and emotional burden of not getting nearly enough sleep. When did 5am become the norm for Lily and I? And what am I doing wrong?! I feel like I'm doing what I should be doing...ugh. I hate this constant questioning. And then I start questioning are her medications okay? Is this an SOD thing? Is this just a phase? If this is a phase it needs to end now! Seriously, this has been going on for too long.

Dr. S and I talked about putting my foot down and leaving her in her crib until 6am (unless she's hysterical and needs me, of course.) This morning the wake up call was the middle of the night - really. 3:30am. I went in, offered water, checked the diaper for nastiness [none then.] and rocked her for a minute. When I started falling back asleep I decided to call it quits and put her down in her crib. By the time I was back in my room, she was crying (good sign for me) crying means she's tired and then the cio can actually happen. No such luck. She was back up and playing with the stuffed animals (will this need to come out too!?)
I dozed on and off for a few hours until around 5am she was shouting "Mommy!" I held out until 5:30 and went in to find a nasty diaper and a wide awake toddler.

I don't know what to do. We put her to bed at 7:30 and she goes right to sleep with no fuss. She gets up at 11 for medicine and a diaper change, goes back to sleep with no problem. She wakes up in the god-awful-way-too-early-hours of the "morning" (is 4am really considered morning?!) and is seriously wide awake. I am greeted, most mornings, by a "hi mommy!"

And I might be crazy today but we're taking daddy to work and then heading to GMP for their holiday playgroup. I've had this on the calendar for weeks and really want to take LB. I hope she'll nap in the car or at least at Nana's later. Life goes on though, even when we're all a bit sleep deprived.

And thankfully Nana has offered to take LB one of these nights to give me a break soon. I'm counting down the days!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I would ask your ped if they think it's the SOD and then truly, if it's not, then I would just leave her to her own devices! Did you move her into her toddler bed? If you did, maybe, she's just having some transition issues?

    Cooper used to wake up at 5:30 for months and my rule was not to not budge from my bed until 6:30. Now, if he was crying then I would go in earlier but I would just leave him to his playing otherwise...Funny, now, most mornings he sleeps until 7:30 or 8 and I'm awake at 6:30! WTH?

    Good luck and I hope it's just a phase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet mama, I'm so sorry that you're still dealing with night wakings. I wish I lived closer and could give you a night off as well!

    I totally agree with Jen - if it isn't SOD related then I'd let her play if she wants, but stay in bed yourself. Our bedroom is just a door down from Asher's and my general plan is that if he's crying I'll hear him and go in, but if he's playing I can't even hear him and stay in bed.

    Good luck and have a great Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete