Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CD Update

Just a quick update on how cloth diapering is working for us.

1. We got LB's sodium checked Friday and it was on the high side. (145 and then 141) With those numbers we have room to wiggle up with her ddavp. I'm not sure if this is necessary though. She was having a very thirsty day Friday and chugging tons of water so I'm not surprised to see higher numbers but the past few days have been better. I think we're always going to be dealing with "thirsty days" and then the somewhat "normal days." (or normal for us, at least.)

2. With the sodium more under control or at least as best as it's been in awhile, I've been able to cloth with more gusto and less tears. Seriously, there were days that I would see her leaking and just cry because I had changed her diaper not 30 minutes before. Now I feel like she's going at a more normal pace most of the day and can be changed every 1.5-2hrs. It helps that we have more diapers now so I can change her as often as needed without having to go to the pampers.

Looks like the washer threw up cloth diapers!
3. I've been able to wash a load of diapers every other night which is fantastic. Any longer and my nose wouldn't be able to handle it - even with how diluted Lily's pee is, it stills stinks after 2 days of being balled up in a bag together. I've also started doing the wash and then hanging up all the diapers I can manage so that the dryer isn't doing all the work. In the morning the diapers are mostly dry and just need a little heat and fluff!

4. Nighttime diapering is still a trial and error - mostly error. I think I've got 7p-11p down. If there are any leaks, and those are small now, the wool catches it and keeps sheets and PJs dry. 11p-5a is harder but at least she's not soaked and shivering when I get her up. And all the layers keeps the poop in [most days.]

5. I am overwhelmed by the support, advice, messages and kindness from strangers that the cloth diapering community has given us. One of my December Mommy's who is also a fellow blogger sent me a TON of diapers she was no longer using. Some of those (grobaby) have been so handy to use out of the house. She also sent us more microfiber inserts which have proved to be essential in stopping leaks during the day with my prefolds!
Grobaby diapers sent to us! We love them!
My friend, Callista, has also shared a boat load of information and has been there (through email) with me through every step of my cloth diapering experience. She has been a well of knowledge that I am so grateful for. She also shared this blog with some more cloth diapering moms and one of those moms has reached out to me and wants to send me some diapers to try at night time! I can't wait to get them and put them to the test. If they even keep LB dry from 7p-11p that would be fantastic. Or even better, nap time!


6. Yes, nap time. Nap time is approx. 2-2.5hrs long. I usually don't let her go longer than that because it worries me about blood sugar and lethargy - I'm a little bit paranoid about that. So there should be a diapering system out there that can hold her over that long (though it is a "break through" pee time too.) I'm open to trying some more diapers out that can hold her then. I really want to weed disposables out as much as I can. Night time is fine but I really don't want to have to rely on sposies during the day at all. That's my goal, at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment