Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cloth Diaper Night #1

Last night was not a disaster even though almost everything that could go wrong, went wrong. But it was not a success either.

I AM NOT GIVING UP.


Let's start from the beginning. After having washed (4 times) and dried the diapers I was so excited to start cloth diapering last night. The fitted hemp diaper was a little damp when I put it on LB but from 7pm-11pm is when her medicine is really starting to wear off so I knew that she would soak through this diaper pretty fast.
Lily, of course, was very patient with me (one of my worries) and was totally comfortable with the diaper. She thinks the snaps are fun ;-) It is unusually warm here in NC this week so we decided to leave her pants off and baby girl went right to sleep. I had to wake her at 11pm for her medicine and water.
She was soaked. And I mean...well, the fitted diaper was saturated from front to bad to the sides to the tabs. The liners had soaked up all they could. Even the cover was wet. Her shirt and sheets were about 3 times wetter than with her disposable diapers but of course, no busted diapers.
My heart did a little stutter step but I quickly recovered and grabbed the next night time diaper, our thirsties fitted diaper, another microfiber insert a fleece liner and a new cover. It took me a moment to get them all straightened out but LB was preoccupied with her water in take. I put a new shirt on and then put her back down.
She slept from 11:30-7am again. Whaaaaaaat!? Insane. I feel a little hazy like I'm in some kind of wonderland!
When I walked in to her room to get her I knew, well, I could smell what surprises awaited me. I was thinking might as well hit me with every situation cloth diapering will throw at me! Sleep makes me optimistic, obviously.
TMI alert
It was not a little bit of poop. Nothing dainty about this diaper change. The diaper again was completely saturated including the cover, her shirt and the sheets. But this time no poop had come out of the diaper which usually happens with disposables. I guess once the disposable is saturated it just can't hold onto poop like cloth can.
So I cleaned LB up and brought her down to give medicine and then went back up to clean up. *sigh* I shook off what I could in the toilet but it was such a mess. I cleaned most of it in the sink and then threw everything, including sheets and PJs, into the wash and set it for soak.
I'm trying prefolds with covers this morning to see how well I  like those. So far so good. I guess then I'll throw those in with the others and do a wash at lunch.

Unfortunately I will be out this evening (T Swift with lovely Sarah!!) and I doubt Dennis will pick up a cloth diaper and do it on his own even if I set everything out. I'm not sure if I'll be back at 11 to put her in one either. And Friday night we will be at my moms so it might not be the best night to do CD again. Saturday will be night #2 then and in the meantime we'll do day time prefolds since we're actually out of daytime diapers!

My thoughts are this:
We need a wool cover for night time. I think LB is always going to be saturating diapers cloth or disposable and there's only so much a diaper can hold. It's got to go somewhere. From what I hear the wool will soak up pee and keep it off Lily's skin while still making her feel dry. And it's also breathable and regulates temperature so what can be better? Sweet Bottom Baby where we got our diapers had some awesome covers but they were about $40. They were oh-so-soft though....but I think I'll look around online and order one when I can.
I also think we need to really get her DI under control. There was a time that Lily would go through 2 disposable diapers a night and NOT pee out of them. I want that back and then I think  I can handle cloth diapering.
I'm awaiting sodium results today so hopefully we'll be upping that tonight.

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated by anyone and everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. we have a parent who uses cloth diapers for her son. And at first, its all a little overwhelming. I'm sure she got used to them fast than we did at daycare, but still! each change is always a surprise! I'm not sure what sort of diapers you're using, but they seem to have a super process to putting them together, the ones our guy uses -his mom just keeps the plastic liners snapped into the cloth diaper, and washes them like that. and then she just slips in the cloth inserts into each diaper that she sends with him to school. I don't know if this 'helps' in anyway...just thought i'd share ;)

    ReplyDelete