This week we started giving Lily Belle three doses of DDAVP a day instead of just two. The doctor says it rare that they do this but we can't go up on the medication without worrying about dropping her sodium too low and her current doses were not holding her until the next dose. That's when we'd go through diapers like crazy and Lily would beg for cup after cup of water, almost to the point where we'd worry about over saturating her!
We started our new dosing on Monday. The good thing about it is that now it's every 8 hours instead of every 12 and you know what else is every 8 hours? Hydrocortisone! (Did I really just ! that? I did.) I was laying in bed at night thinking of the best way to go about it. It would seem that our current HC time schedule wouldn't fit with when Lily would need her ddavp the most (during the day, for example!) SO, I decided to change the times. Yep, no more 3am (for now.) We're back to 7a, 3p, 11p. So I have to stay up until 11 which is what I do most nights anyways. It actually fits our schedule quite nicely since LB gets up around 3 from her nap now too.
But, it's been a struggle. We downed her dose a few mcg and it needs time to stabilize but I'm thinking it's possible we'll have to go up again. It's holding her better but still not great. There's a lot of "Wa Wa" begging and hitting when she doesn't get it.
Yes. Hitting. My sweet baby is hitting me now. And yes, it's mostly me. Probably because I'm around her the most, I am the most strict and that when I say "no" I mean it. She's mostly hitting when we tell her no and we are mostly saying no to her having water. Well, more water. Like 3 9oz cups in a row. And you know how she drinks, no dainty sips for my girl, no she chugs all 9oz in less time than it takes me to read a status update.
I've tried time out but that makes things worse. My biggest thing is that I don't give in. So I try timeout even for 10 seconds and then I talk to her (which sometimes leads to more hitting) and if she does hit again I just lightly push her away until she knows that I'm not taking that. And THEN I try my hardest to distract her and stay calm like "should we go look at some pictures now?" And THEN (haha) when she's calmed down I explain that Mommy doesn't like when Lily hits her and I ask for hugs - which she usually gives.
It's tough to be calm and patient with all that. But I'm taking baby steps about it.
Another big change that I'm hoping to start this week is....
cloth diapering!
I have done a lot of research, asked a lot of friends, looked around online and I'm hoping to go to store tomorrow to look a few more in person. I'm really excited and determined to do this. Not so much for the green aspect of it (though that does appeal to me but hello, we've been through our fair share of diapers already!) but more for the financial aspect, the possibility of using them on baby#2 and the HOPE that these will be able to help with the leaks and busted diapers.
My goal is to start with night time diapering since I've heard this might be the hardest. Hopefully with our messing with the dosing times and amounts plus trying these CDs out then maybe I won't be doing so many sheet, PJ and diaper changes at night.
It's not the laundry that bothers me about LB peeing so much, it's about the heartbreak of why she's peeing and wishing it could be easier. Every wet sheet, every soaked PJ top, every busted diaper is like a punch in my gut. And having to strip her down in the cold(er) part of the night, seeing goosebumps on her skin and watching her shiver and try not to drift back to sleep really tears me up. I want to take control of this.
Laundry I can do. But let's make that laundry cloth diapers and not soaked sheets and rumpled PJs.
Another reason to start with nighttime is because I don't quite have the "start up" to get all the day time diapers I need. Dennis and I agreed that I could buy a few diapers every couple of weeks, work my way up and transition to CDs. We'll see how tomorrow goes at the store. I'm sure I'll have plenty to write about after my trial run!!
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment