Friday morning we went back to UNC for another appointment with Krisi Brackett, the feeding specialist. I had heard GREAT things about her from a couple of different people. I wasn't sure after the first appointment if I really liked her all that much or not but this second appointment solidified it - I love her. She's great with Lily and she listens to me. We're going to meet with her every two weeks for right now unless we have to up it and meet every week. We're booked through April right now. We're also going to meet with the whole feeding team so that the GI can look her over and what not. Krisi gave me the option of seeing another therapist here in Raleigh but I don't want to start from scratch again, or gamble and not like this new therapist. I told her that we would be glad to rearrange our schedule to come to UNC every other week. It's the important.
Right now we're back on prevacid (because it "can't hurt") and we're playing a "spoon game" in which at non-meal times I offer Lily a spoon without food on it, say "open" and put it in her mouth. She then gets rewarded with a toy. I do this about 10 times, with her playing about 20-30seconds each time. It's tiring and kind of annoying. Lily responded to Krisi doing it really well even though she said that LB might be a little young for it. She just kept saying, "she's so smart to be catching on so quickly!" Well, duh, you're preaching to the choir here. Of course she's a genius!
So for now we're going to do the spoon game 2-3 times a day, do the prevacid, and work on getting her to eat 3 meals a day of only purees because she says we have to tackle that first. Krisi says that she might have a little low tone in her jaw, which we kind of tackled with Sue (OT.) And that her mouth movements are more like an infant (she "suckles" food off the spoon, which is not good.) So we have a lot to work on and a long road ahead of us. It's exhausting just to think about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Keep it up! It's worth it even when it's hard. My daughter was FTT and I didn't know where to look (and I felt like such a terrible mom to be faced with that). I was lucky to find this website http://childrenandbabiesnoteating.com/, which gave me so much information on why Emma wouldn't eat, testing to make sure nothing was medically wrong, and different types of feeding therapies. Happily she is eating and we've managed to eliminate the FTT label, but it has been a long trip. I hope the feeding therapy works for you as well as it did for us!
ReplyDelete