Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Big Changes for a New Year

I get that I'm behind on blogging. Ideally I should be typing away about Christmas or New Years, resolutions and presents but my life has been consumed by lack of sleep and the utter disappointment I feel first thing in the morning every day when I turn over and see that the damn clock says 4am.

Though I only drink two cups of coffee in the morning, I am often dreaming of a third cup...and without thinking about it last night I set up the pot to make 3 cups - or yes, a half a pot of coffee.

And while we were already on the bad habit of sleeping until 3 or 4am we decided to transition LB to the big girl bed (or "buh gur bed" to Lily.)

It was time. The other night we had a hard time getting Lily to stay in her crib. I think she got a bit overtired, which happens when you wake at 3/4am, take a nap from 11-1:30p (and have to be woken up from it) and then we tried to keep her up until 8. It was a bit much. She would fall asleep in our arms and then the moment we put her down she shot up like a rocket and was over the crib before we made it to the stairs. So we let her CIO in her room and she ended up sleeping on the floor beside the door.
It's really not as "sad" as it sounds. Really, I'm typing it out and thinking wow, how heartbreaking! But it wasn't that dramatic.
I did go in and transfer her to her crib where she sat up and cried for a minute or two and then went back to sleep.

So the next day I took the railing off the crib and we played in her room all morning so she would get used to it before nap time. She climbed up and down. Piled up books and toys in it. She called it her big girl bed. I was cautiously optimistic.

Nap time was fine. I rocked her and put her down only to find her up and playing 5 minutes later. I changed a dirty diaper and then rocked her all the way to sleep again. She slept like a rock for 2.5 straight hours while I did the same exact thing in my own bed. You know those times when you sleep and don't move? Yeah, that's how tired Lily and I have been lately.

Last night was a bit of a struggle. We followed her normal bed time routine and then I laid her down in her big girl bed. I walked to the stairs thinking this is too easy... when I heard her cry out and head for the door. I let her cry for a bit then went back in to comfort her. I then walked out again and just let her cry.
Again, she fell asleep right beside the door.
Except this time she literally was right inside the door. I had to gently nudge her with the door to get inside so I could put her in her bed. Part of me was fine with her sleeping on the floor and part of me was not. I also knew I had to do it at 3am anyways so why not do it now? And she transferred fine. (thankfully.)

She slept great, only got up at 2am when I changed her and did the medicine. She went back down in her bed with no problems.

She slept until 4am (wahoo!) No crying, no "mommy!!!" She just got up and played for an hour. Then around 5 I started hearing more commotion so I popped up - really, I was just happy we had made it through the night with no major catastrophes!
Poor baby had another dirty diaper :( I just can't time that right? Do I go in when I first hear her, risk there not being a dirty diaper (what comes first, does the dirty diaper wake her up or does she wake up and go?!) and then I wouldn't be able to detangle myself from her without a huge tantrum and likely a full on wake up for me at 4am. Or Do I do what I've been doing and wait until she shows she needs me? I risk bad diaper rashes and feeling guilty that way (but with a tad more sleep and shows her that 4am is not acceptable?)
Ideally, of course, I would go in, change said dirty diaper and then put her back down to do as she please - play or sleep - but she would throw a huge fit that in my mind would not be worth it...

I guess we just take it one night at a time.
I hate waking this peaceful sleep at nap time! (We also added pillows to the floor last night!)

P.S. While we're on the subject, my resolution is to go to sleep earlier.

1 comment:

  1. she is growing so fast!! she looks so sweet in her big girl bed though! :) I don't know about lily,(whether she wakes up and goes, or goes and wakes up) but my classroom kiddos all wake up from nap time and i have to give them all about 15-30 min. to go in their diapers or else i end up changing everyone twice in a 45 minute period. (big hugs for you both!!)

    ReplyDelete