Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sleep Update & Nap Wars

I think last week was a fluke. Or if not a fluke, then it was a brief glimpse of how good it can be. And you know what? I think babies do that on purpose! No, of course they don't. But, sometimes it sure does feel that way. "Hey, Mom, Did you enjoy that 5 straight hours of sleep? How about you sleep in until 7am? And then 2 hours later we can both take a long nap!" Yeah. BLISS. That's what last week was.

And then teething happened.
And we had guests one night.

And now everything is messed up again. But, I stayed strong last night and went back to our original plan. I even put her to bed a little earlier since her naps this past weekend were either nonexistent or creative (ie, in the car seat.) So she cried for a long time last night. Screaming crying again. But she fell asleep. But she was up so constantly last night and not just the 5-10 minuets of crying, but the screaming crying that I just can't sleep through, kind of cry. so I got up, gave some tylenol (teething, remember?) and nursed her. She was up again and again and then up at 6am but this time I just let her stay in her crib and play because I was so exhausted. So we got up for good at 7ish.

I was determined to get back to our ways again. To have that bliss back. So I decided to put her down for a nap somewhere between 9/930.
She started rubbing her eyes at 9:15. Perfect!
So I took her upstairs, snuggled, nursed, and her little eyes were slowly blinking. So I laid her down in her crib, said night night and walked out. And she screamed. and cried. I did my usual checks to find her in various positions. Standing. Sitting. Sitting with her legs hanging out of the crib. Rolling around. All while crying.

After 40 minutes of this, I heard silence. Blessed silence. I go to check and she's out! Hooray!

Until not even 10 minutes later. Screaming crying yet again. I waited 10 minutes and it didn't stop so I just gave up.

It's not 11:30am and still no nap. I'm going to try again after lunch...

Any ideas, ladies?

I'm lucky to get one nap, hardly ever 2 but I'd really like to get at least one GOOD nap (1.5-2 hours long) I guess right now I should just settle for A NAP.

Suggestions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Have you read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth? It's my sleep bible. No kidding. I got it when Asher was a newborn and every step that Weissbluth said was coming Asher hit.

    I followed his suggestions for helping Ash sleep and they work! I have a video monitor (do you have one?) which is awesome because it allows me to 'check' on Asher without going in his room. More times than not when he was crying if I went in it just got worse. If I let him go he cries a few minutes then is out. Same thing with naps.

    For the most part he sleeps great, but recently he's been waking up at night and fighting naps. Weissbluth says that its due to all of his activity these days - he wants to play, not sleep! So I'm being tough mommy and letting him cry some. I'm also putting him to bed earlier since he doesn't solid sleep at night. One of the things that surprised me most about Weissbluth's method is how early babies need to go to bed. He suggests between 6p-8pm - even earlier for awhile if the baby is sleep deprived. What time does Lily go down at night? Maybe try earlier?

    This was long - sorry! If you want to talk more feel free to email me at ecwilkinson53@gmail.com

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete