Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, October 11, 2010

Nap Time

So, today was 50/50. Lily went down surprisingly well for her morning nap around 10am. I nursed her before hand and then put her down awake. She cried for about 10 minutes and I did the usual time check in (3, 5, 7minutes) She's a smart stinker though because one time I went in early because she had stopped crying and I wanted to see if she was sleeping and she was laying there looking at the door, just waiting for me to come in! So that started a new wave of crying but right after that she was back out.

And she slept about about an hour and a half! I actually had to wake her up because we had Sue, our OT, coming. I had just enough time to change her and get her into some day clothes!

OT went well today. We have some more exercises to do and Sue explained that Lily's jaw muscles are not toned as well as they should be. We also have to be creative with Lily's flavors of food because she doesn't seem to notice when things are in her mouth when they are bland. So, we're going to work with spices since most seasoning is salt related (Sue suggested soy sauce) but she has the sodium imbalance to contend with, so those are no goes. We're also going to try working with temperatures. Lily seems to do well when her food is cold out of the fridge so that's another thing I'll be doing.

And yes, the other side of the ferber method reared it's head today. We had Sue come and work with LB and then right after that had Dee and Lyn come so when they left, around 1:30ish, I let LB play for a little while and then thought at 3pm that it was time to try an afternoon nap. She was acting a little tired but not overly so. So I nursed her and then laid her down awake. I did the usual checks again. This time though we were not successful. She just laid there and cried and cried and by 3:35 I decided to end it. She had just started to get the overly mad cry out, the one that causes the gasping for air and the dreaded hiccups. So, I think it was smart to end it then.
She's playing and seems fine now so maybe the 1.5hr nap for morning was enough? I just hope she doesn't want a nap at 5pm! We'll see if she can make it to 7:30 tonight. And we'll start all over again with nighttime!
It was bound to not work once today so I'm not too worried. We'll see if we can have another successful night though!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if having a video monitor would help with this. Bennett and Max have one, and when I babysit I always use that to check on Jos when she's asleep. You could watch the video monitor and know that way if she's just stopped crying or is actually asleep...that way you won't walk in and she can trick you again. (super cute btw) I know they're kinda $$, but there's gotta be one on craigslist or ebay for cheap.

    ReplyDelete