Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 19, 2010

GI visit

I just got Lily down for a nap. And these days her naps can range anywhere from 10mins-2hours so I try and choose my time wisely. I have not written in a bit so I decided to choose my nap time today to sit and write for a bit. Normally I would be in bed napping too but I actually got decent sleep last night. I went to bed at 10, got up at 1am to wake Lily up and feed her and again at 6am to give medicine and nurse again. And she slept right through both feedings! She has also been sleeping through her 10pm medicine which is great.
My next goal is to try 7 hours. I thought about trying it last night because she was sleeping so soundly but I just couldn't justify getting her up when she was sleeping so well and checking her blood sugar. Poor baby cringes every time something *SNAPS* - just like the snap when we have to draw blood for the sugar pricks. And trust me, so many things snap these days...like the buckle on the high chair - three times a day - the finger nail clippers, the bottle cap on her bottles, etc. I hate seeing her flutter her lashes and squish up her face like she's waiting for the pain. It breaks my heart :(
Another thing that breaks my heart is her damn shot. This is one thing in my life that I try to be super detached about. I know in the back of my mind that this is for the best. This will help her grow. This is a small part of the bigger picture. But the damn medicine stings her so bad. She doesn't even notice the needle. It's when I inject it that she screams and tries to pull away. And lord, she is STRONG! Dennis has to hold her down which I know he hates. I at least have the clinical part of it. I can only hope and pray that they invent or find something better so she doesn't have to fight and cry before bed every night for the rest of her life :(

Onto doctors updates. My pediatrician gave us our letter for SSI. She is amazing. She even called to let me know that the letter is a bit...scary. She basically goes on to say ALL the bad things that can happen if Lillian were not taking her medicine, which we as parents have to be hyper-vigilant about. It ranges from low IQ, mental retardation, low blood sugar to seizures and death. The most important part of the letter concerning SSI is that she pointed out that it takes a whole team of specialists to keep Lillian healthy. She did like to point out to me that Lillian has awesome parents taking care of her too which I, of course, agree with :) haha
I picked up the letter as we were going to the GI doctor. Which was a huge waste of time. Another reason I LOVE our pediatrician is because she would've placed the call into the GI doctor to ask if it was really necessary to come in for a follow up instead of just blindly saying to go as a precaution. Which for us, precautionary measures are necessary. So we spent another $50 just to be told that her live enzyme numbers are not scary looking and we will recheck them in November. The GI doctor was kind of wondering why we were even there since the numbers had dropped so much from our initial visit after the seizure.
But he also said to feed her as much as she wants (now about a jar of stage 2 per meal!) and to give her more water and juice to help with the constipation. So I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time. Oh, and she weighs 14lbs 10oz
He wasn't concerned with her weight either, saying that she looked proportional and that breastfed babies are often smaller than others. So while we are offering her more food, I feel like we at least don't need to constantly think "fatten up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment