Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Biggest Foe.

DI's middle name just might be "frustrating." Every time I feel like I know about it and understand and can look for the symptoms and know when things need to change - I don't.

Basically, Lily is drinking a lot of water again. She was peeing out of diapers constantly but after going up a size that's calmed down quite a bit. We went to get her sodium checked last week and surprisingly the numbers were great which is so. dang. frustrating. One thing is telling me she's having a hard time and the actual numbers, what the doctor goes off of, is telling me she's fine.

So then I have to throw some theories out.
She's either drinking a lot of water because she is:
1. Growing and needing more, something I'll have to adapt to.
2. Eating more regular foods and needing to balance out the sodium with more water.
3. Behaviorally thinking she needs water constantly.

Or a combination of all three and I just need to get over it and let her have what she wants. Which is no problem during the day except for times like yesterday when we went to the grocery store and though I had given her a cup of juice before the store and another cup of water right when we got there, she still wanted more. I had already gone through my bottle of water so I had to search out the water fountain. Maybe I should toss the 7oz cups and just use the big 9oz cups from now on. Maybe that'll save me some frustration.

Then there's night time. *sigh* Last night Lily was throwing a huge fit at 1am, why? We're not sure yet. But after some tylenol and water she was better. And she had a total of 24oz of water throughout the night.

Oh, and did I mention that she's refusing her soy milk now? Yeah, she's pushing away most of her milk throughout the day AND night and saying "wawa peas." This is a bit of a struggle because we still worry about her blood sugar at night. She's been fine, waking up with sugars at 70 which is low  but not horrible, especially going all night with nothing.
Maybe this is a toddler phase thing. It's not a huge deal since she's always taken in an oversupply of milk. We can successfully, without fuss, get her to take a 9oz cup in the morning, 9oz at dinner and usually can right before bed which is the most important thing. She has straight up refused her usual milk at lunch and her usual one at 3am. I need to just go with the Lily Belle flow...

I guess the plan is to give it a few days and see how her drinking goes. If we have more nights like last night then it's time for another set of blood tests. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment