Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Worst Medical Term EVER

"Failure to thrive" is one of the worst medical terms I have ever heard. Yesterday nutrition came down to have a chat with me. They wanted to see where I stood about breastfeeding, formula, supplementing, etc. She said, "normally we really encourage breastfeeding, but when a baby fails to thrive, we need to look into supplementing with some formula." I was LIVID.
First off, Endocrinologist, who supposedly sent the nutritionist up to speak with me, did not mention anything about this. So I was blind sided. Secondly and almost as importantly, you are talking about interfering with my breastfeeding - the one thing I can provide my child with in all this craziness, the most comforting, soothing, BEST part of my day. I don't think so. I told her I was very adamant about breastfeeding, that it's best for me and Lillian, that the fact that she hasn't gained weight is not from me or my breast milk (quality or quantity) but because her hormones have failed to do their job. So now that we are on the hormones I was willing to give it a few weeks to see if she gained any. She was still a bit wishy washy and so I told her, firmly, "I let the doctors do what they will with my daughter to figure out a diagnosis. I also let them treat her as they needed to. But on this, I have to put my foot down. Breast milk is best for my daughter and that's what matters the most."
She sent lactation down to see me. Which of course, they were totally on my side. If anything I will have to pump a little bit and supplement with my own breast milk at the same time she's nursing. We'll see if I need to do that though. We plan on renting a medical grade scale when we get home so we can keep track of her gaining.

I think my mom was surprised by how strongly I felt about breastfeeding. She was pretty proud of me and that, in turn, made me pretty proud of myself for standing up for what I think is best.
And just for the record, Lillian was 9lbs 9oz this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment