Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The little things

I have found lately that it makes me feel like I'm back to being the mommy I was before all this when I focus on the little triumphs throughout the day.

Here are a few:

* Any and Every time I get Lillian to take a nap or go to sleep after a night time feeding (now every 3 hours)
* Going for a walk (2 days in a row! And once by myself with Lily)
* Making dinner
* Not snacking as much throughout the day
* Eating healthy
* Taking a shower!
* Successfully remembering every medicine, sugar check and feeding throughout the day
* Giving Lily her shot without making her cry
* Being patient
* Taking a deep breath when I'm frustrated and finding my center again

I think the two biggest ones are the patience and the sleep. Lillian just doesn't take to naps like she used to. So I've had to re learn her and nap time. I don't look at the clock, "oh, it's been 2 hours, she's probably ready for a nap." Nope. It's so up in the air. No day is the same. No routines. It's just when she gets fussy and there's nothing she really wants. One things the same, I do still nurse her to sleep. That's the only way to get her down and the only time I really know (besides the fussiness) that she's ready for a nap.
She's currently napping right now. I'm staying in the room for now because she constantly wakes up crying and if I don't get to her soon enough to soothe her back to sleep she wakes up for good.
And at night. Well, we have to get her up every 3 hours at night to feed her. I think if she had her way she'd sleep a good 6 hours like before...oh gosh, I miss those days. And it's slightly scary that she never had a seizure or worse before! Anyways, so every time I get her up to eat/take medicine/change diaper, I almost hold my breath to see if she'll go back to sleep. She usually does the first 2 feedings. It's the darn 4am-5am feeding that is so bad.
But today, ah today, she did it. Or I did it? She went back to sleep at 5am. She did wake up an hour later but she had a stuffy nose and I got her back to sleep again.
And when I put her down and she went right back to sleep I smiled and told myself "yes, Allison, you're awesome!" ;)

And the patience. Well, I've talked about that before. And it's been constant since Lillian's come into my world. That never changed with the diagnosis. I pat myself on the back every time I can take a deep breath, say "Love is patient", think of how my LOVE I have for my daughter, and realize that I'm making this worse than it really is. She is surely feeling my stress and frustration which is just fueling everything. So every time I get myself to calm down and get back to center I pat myself on the back and smile because hey, I am in control of something.

And maybe that's the big thing? Control? Hm. Maybe with this diagnosis I feel like I'm not in control of anything. But I can control my attitude. My love for my daughter. I can't control the medicines, or when and how she wants to sleep. But I can work around her. I can adapt. I can change to help her. Isn't that what being a Mom is all about anyways?

1 comment:

  1. Yes... and it sounds like you are a wonderful, wonderful Mother. Pat yourself on the back A LOT :)

    ReplyDelete