Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Homesick

We are hoping and praying that we can go home tomorrow. We have been in the hospital since last Monday early morning. We started her on HGH around noon today and hopefully that will keep her blood sugars more stable. I'll still be feeding her every 2 hours tonight but hoping Dennis can take one with some pumped milk from earlier this week.

I also changed my mind about formula...a little bit. I figured we could try supplementing formula every now and again until her weight is back up. I guess they caught me at a wrong time (mother's day) and I immediately got defensive about everything thinking it was my only option. But now that I've kind of decided no my own, I feel a bit more better about it. I've decided to do this: I'll nurse her like normal, then offer her formula to kind of top her off. That way she's always getting the breast first, and then if she's still needing some more calories she's getting those too.
So, we tried that tonight with the powdered formula (the pre mixed made her god awful sick) and she wasn't very impressed. She nursed for about 15 minutes and I thought she'd go right to bed. She didn't so we mixed up 2 oz (thinking i'd only give her about .5-1oz) Well, she took a couple of teeny sips and made a face and she was done. We let her play for a bit and Den just tried again. She took a couple of gulps but she doesn't want anymore. I don't know whether she's just full from nursing or she truly doesn't like it...
...and I feel a little bit of giddiness that she may not like it hahaha ;)

Next time I update we should be home. PLEASE please PLEASE let us go home tomorrow!!! I'm going a bit stir crazy. All the nurses and doctors know us and stop in to say hi. It's nice but it's kinda sad...and lord, I've seen people come in and leave so often It just breaks my heart!! I also know that when we go home most of the responsibility falls on my shoulders. Her medications, including one shot a day of HGH, testing her blood sugar every couple of hours to begin with, getting her to doctors appointments, feeding her constantly to keep her blood sugar up and of then just doing the normal, everyday mommy stuff is going to be SO exhausting, especially to begin with.

Anyway, just thinking of all of that has made me pretty tired. And I should get some sleep while I can since I'll be up every 2 hours to feed her again tonight.

Goodnight!

P.S. Just wanted to add that Lillian is doing much better. She is smiling and laughing more and it seems that her head control and muscle strength is already showing improvement. It's amazing how much she's changed over the past 10 days when we really didn't know anything was all that wrong with her. We couldn't be more happy though!

2 comments:

  1. I think you've come up with a great compromise with the formula...Hopefully, it's just a temporary situation and she can go back to EBF soon ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that Lillian is showing improvements. That is wonderful to hear!! And I'm sure it's just all uphill from here. :)

    ReplyDelete