Lately I've had a hard time balancing life as a "normal" Mommy and life as a "special needs" Mommy. Now, you may think "What's the difference?" Or even worse, "Why would you think that way?" but it's my life, and I think that way and when you're waking your daughter up at 3am when she's dead asleep just to give her medication, well you'll think you're life isn't all that normal either.
So, I've just been feeling like I'm walking a tight rope between being an overprotective Mommy, which I have every right to be, and what my true nature calls for - which is a let-her-do-it-so-she'll-learn kind of Mom. For example, playgroup - which unfortunately we haven't been able to attend much because of the one car thing, but when a Mom in playgroup would email and say, "Well, we're hosting today but my kid has a cough but I'm not sure if it's allergies or a cold or etc. Come if you want!" And most moms write back saying they'll be there, not to worry and me? I can't help but worry. Will this be the cold that makes her crash? Will that cough turn into pneumonia?
And then this god awful heat!? I can't take her out in anything over 90 degrees or I just spend the whole time worrying, filling her up with ice water and making sure she's feeling okay. And really, she just melts and gets all lethargic in the heat that I just can't stand to see her like that if I can help it.
I just feel like lately, especially, that I want her to experience everything but not everything is going to be possible. She just seems so "normal" now that she's eating, sleeping and not so sick. We're not spending the majority of our time in doctors offices or up all night changing sheets and diapers. But it doesn't mean that I can let my guard down. It's because I've been so vigilant about medications and symptoms and staying so in-tuned to LB that we've been so "lucky" considering everything.
I guess I should just consider this my life. A balancing act between the normal everyday life and the SOD/panhypopit side of things.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment