Lily is now officially on milk full time! Today was the first time we did all milk in her sippy (no formula mixed in.) Last night was my first time putting her to bed without breastfeeding but we made it special and started a new routine. I now read her a bedtime story while we rock and she drinks her cup of milk. It's sweet and it still gives us our special time.
It was a little weird having to come down for a bottle at 3am last night. She ended up drinking all 4 ounces of milk last night but I think I will offer her less so that she doesn't get too full and then not want to eat breakfast.
Speaking of....we're having a hard time feeding her lately. I'm just counting down the days and hours until Monday when Sue (our OT) gets back here. She's going to be so disappointed! I feel like all our hard work has gone out the window. I don't even offer her mushed up food anymore because I'm more worried about her eating and keeping it down! This is roughly how our eating schedule is going now and I'm open to advice (especially getting all the milk/juice/water in throughout the day without stuffing her full of liquids, leaving no room for solids!)
6-7am Wake up, go downstairs and give synthroid (thyroid medicine, must be taken on an empty stomach and we have to let it settle for at least 20 minutes)
7:30-8am Breakfast which is usually stage 2 oatmeal or some kind of breakfast. She used to eat a full jar + mushed fruit and now she's eating a couple of bites! and then refusing to eat more!
We then give her juice with water
- Between breakfast and lunch I give her 5 ounces of milk
12-1pm Lunch, Again, used to be a full jar of veggies and some mushed fruit. Today I was lucky to get half a jar into her! Again, we give a bit of water (about 4 ounces)
- And again, between lunch and dinner I give 5 ounces of milk
Dinner is at 5-5:30pm and is by far the best meal throughout the day. In this meal she usually eats at least one jar of meat/veggies and sometimes another FULL jar of fruit or veggies. And she also gets plain water after the meal.
Now at bedtime she's getting about 5-6 ounces of milk
And then at 3am she is getting 3-4 ounces of milk too.
So let's tally. I give juice/water 3 times a day (with each meal) which totals about 12-15 ounces of water
Milk is given between meals and at the end of the day and that totals roughly...20 ounces of milk maybe
and then solids are about 2-3 jars on a good day.
I guess that actually sounds pretty good huh? If she didn't eat so well at dinner I'd be more concerned but it seems like she kind of makes up for not eating at bfast/lunch. She just used to eat so much more! And I know, babies go through a decrease in appetite around this time but I didn't think it would be so pronounced. She's also teething and acting/feeling a bit weird so that could have something to do with it? Am I just super paranoid?
Anywho, I came on here to say I was doing good without breastfeeding (even physically) and I go into this whole food conundrum I'm dealing with...obviously that's on my mind!


My suggestion would be to reduce some of the ounces of her milk intake. They suggest only 8-16 ounces of milk a day because anymore will make them not want to eat solids. It's tempting to want to give them more milk to counteract their smaller solid portion size but maybe reduce the milk in-between meals and see how she does...
ReplyDeleteI give Cooper water with meals and milk with snacks. He does about 16 ounces of water a day and 12-14 ounces of milk.
I definitely think teething may have something to do with her eating changes. I know Cooper eats differently when he's teething, too. I don't think you're being paranoid, at all! It's in our nature to obsess over every little detail in their lives :) We'll worry about how they're eating and sleeping until we die!
Thanks, Jen! I wasn't sure how much milk she should have! I emailed her nutritionist to ask but of course, it's the holidays and we won't get a response back until next week I think.
ReplyDeleteI just happened to see your blog link on BBC and clicked. :)
ReplyDeleteMy son goes through the not eating solid phases usually when he's getting teeth. He will up his liquid intake at that time.
Also, if I don't think it's teething, I will just offer him less water with meals to get him to eat more because he has a habit of chugging water from his sippy. I have recently been giving him the liquid YoBaby yogurt with his breakfast instead of water.