We went to in the endocrinoligst yesterday and she was very impressed with how well LB is looking these days. She even went so far as to call her a "miracle baby!" We call her that all the time but it's different hearing it from one of the doctors. She was just so thrilled to see her cruising around on the office furniture, crawling madly, and babbling away! No change to her medicines since she's going so well but she was a bit concerned with her weight gain, or lack thereof. She's running some more blood tests (of course.)
We also met with a nutritionist yesterday while we were there. She asked me about her feeding, work with OT, breastfeeding and bottle feeding. I got a bit defensive, I mean, how can you not when everything you're doing is not enough for your baby? Especially while breastfeeding. But, she was actually quite nice and assured me I could keep breastfeeding but asked if I could step up my occasional bottle of formula to a one-a-day bottle, which is fine by me. She did ask if I would pump and fortify my BM but I said no. Nursing is just to comforting to both of us to give it up. So she said that was fine. Now, we're doing some little things here and there like adding olive oil to her jarred foods (an extra 100 calories there) and some powder called "Duocal" which can be added to pretty much anything without changing flavor or texture. I've been adding it to her juice and water throughout the day and it adds an extra 40 calories. We're also pumping up her formula with more powder. Right now we're doing what the can says to do which is not a lot of calories...so we're going to bump it up slowly and get it all the way up to 30 cal/oz.
The nutritionist said the same thing as OT did in that LB is just very active and burns through calories very fast. But, she is also underweight so she needs the catch up calories as well. So I'm trying to keep up with it all and get her back up on her growth chart. It'll be nice to buy bigger clothes rather than going back and having to buy smaller ones, which I had to do this past week for pants!
She weighed 15lbs 9oz yesterday.


No comments:
Post a Comment