Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, August 26, 2013

We made it through summer!


We did it! We survived summer. And even though I was cranky and hormonal and dreaded the last day of school because I was sick, exhausted and moody - I still teared up a bit that she is back in school. The past few weeks I've really taken a notice to how big she is and how this little girl now has her own opinions and wants. For example:

Her new shoes. Notice those bright pink, *Sparkly* new shoes? Nana and I took LB shopping for shoes and I was thinking of getting something "practical" that could go with every outfit. Every shoe we tried on her was black, brown or navy blue - trying to find something that could last all year. Lily was having none of it and after the last navy shoe she tore them off and said "no. these are not them!" So I changed tactics and picked up the pink shoes "Lily, last pair of shoes. These are pink and sparkly!" She immediately perked up and practically yelled "YES! Girl shoes! That's what I want!!" She put them on and seriously, danced around the store. 
It was certainly a lesson to me: The girl has opinions. She is her own little person and maybe I should start listening to what she wants instead of insisting on what I think she needs.

Another opinion she has? No more dresses. I'm sure this is just a phase and I'm totally okay with it. But she took her dress off the other day and threw it on the floor, "I'm done with dresses!" Which is funny since she's suddenly all about having things that are for girls, "not boys." 

I definitely went through a whirlwind of emotions this morning. I was so happy to have her back in school, a place that has structure and fun hand-in-hand, with teachers that genuinely care and love her. I was proud of her, seeing her so enthusiastic to go back. I was feeling nostalgic, my baby jumping up in down in her elmo backpack in her new [big] pink shoes! I was feeling relief, finally I can get some things done around the house and still be a good mom to her when she comes home. I was feeling overwhelming love for this sweet girl who automatically reaches for my hand and smiles up at me. My baby who carries a little piece of my heart with her wherever she goes.
[oh dear lord. now I'm crying!]

And for fun, I asked her a few questions to start the year off. Maybe I can remember to ask them again at the end of the year and compare ;-) 

What do you want to be when you grow up? "A Doctor! And a Princess!"

Who is your best friend? "At school?" [anywhere.] "Pink Bear"

What is your favorite food: "Mashed potatoes!"

Favorite TV show: "Mickey"

Favorite color: "Pink"

"How about my favorite shape?" Okay, what's your favorite shape? "A circle! And a square. And a triangle because Daddy taught me that. And a heart!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment