Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 9, 2013

Baby Clothes Realization

It's not even been a week since we've found out about baby sister and I've already gotten out Lily Belle's old baby clothes to go through. I was ready! I saved most everything. I definitely got emotional going through the teeny tiny clothes. I was one big box into the project; unfolding, admiring, remembering, refolding and setting into piles by months when I realized that this baby is going to be so different. It took one look at the "0-3/3mo" pile to realize where LB was "stuck" before she was diagnosed. 
One box of 0-3/3mo clothes. The majority of LB's clothes.
It hit a bruised spot in my heart and lit up a little fear in me. I'm not worried about Baby P suffering from the same diagnosis. I am worried about how different this baby will be. I have absolutely no idea how fast babies grow, how big they get, how fast they out grow each monthly size. Lily was so stuck in 3mo outfits that we stockpiled them. Same with the cloth diapers, though different since I didn't start CDing with LB until 2 years old, but I have no idea how a "normal" newborn gains weight. LB was 15lbs at a year old - not normal at all. 
LB a little over 5 months old in a 0-3 onesie
I know that I will be relearning having a newborn anyways because it has been 4 years, but I will also be learning how to mother a healthy newborn. I will learn how often to breastfeed and how often to change diapers. I will learn that newborns don't need 30 3-month old outfits. I will be like a new mom again, floundering through the first few months until I get my feet back underneath me.
And don't even get me started on the fact that had LB been "normal" and healthy, I'd still be experiencing new-mom-mania because I will soon be a mother of two children. And that in and of its self is enough of a learning curve. How to balance spending time and attention with both children while not neglecting my husband or my own needs. (Bring on the wine!) Seriously though, I had a minor freak out this morning with this revelation. And it's one that comes and goes constantly when I think about Baby Sister coming into our lives. I need to remind myself to take things one day at a time. I can prepare the best way I know how and go from there. It worked out pretty well last time ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered how I would do with another child who didn't have special needs. I have no idea how typical babies reach milestones because Cooper has always been so far behind. When his baby friends were learning to roll, he couldn't lift his head up off the floor during tummy time. When his baby friends learned how to crawl, he was just learning to turn over. When his friends learned to walk, he was just finally strong enough to combat crawl. I've also wondered how having a typical sibling would effect Cooper emotionally especially when that sibling learns to talk while he still cannot...(and, probably won't for years and years to come)
    So, I get this post but on a different level...

    ReplyDelete