Yesterday I had to take LB back into the doctor. She was still so junky sounding in general that I just wanted to get her checked out again but I wasn't sure it was necessary to take her in until I noticed her hands and feet after "nap time." Nap time consisted of a full out tantrum that led to 45 minutes of sleep and then 30 minutes of "quiet" play.
LB and I were hanging out in her room. I was folding clothes and she was "helping" (this consists of her wiggling her fingers at the clothes saying, "I help-me" Which I think translates to "I helping") Anyway, she was wiggling her fingers and I happened to catch sight of them. They were bluish purple. I ripped off her socks and the bottom of her feet were white and the top of her feet purple. I thought, she's not getting good circulation and it's not that cold in here for her hands to look like that...so after running through my medical list - is this sodium? She is really thirsty. Is this blood sugar? Checked at 73 (It eventually dropped to 65!) I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong, if anything, because she was playing and acting fine - was I just being paranoid? Probably not, and better safe than sorry, right?
So I called Mom who said to call the doctor but keep an eye on her and trust my instincts. Doctor said they wanted to see her since she still wasn't better. They actually said, "How is she acting?" And I said "she's playing." Nurse: "Okay, good, then the doctor said to bring her in and we'll check her out." Meaning...if she hadn't had been playing we would've been calling 911. But, I already knew that and wouldn't have messed with calling the doctor.
Anywho, Dr. S was booked so we got in with another and she checked LB out and confirmed that the cold had spread...to her ears! This is her first ear infection. She's now on antibiotics and feeling a bit better. She even slept more than an hour at a time last night! I'm so glad I followed my instincts, even when sometimes I feel like I'm being dramatic or paranoid.
And the Dr said that the reason she had decreased intake (the purple hands and feet) was probably from the start of a fever and her body reacting to it - trying to bring all the blood into the center of her body to keep it warm. I'm glad I was watching her so closely because looking back, I really think it could have gotten a lot worse real fast.
So now she's on antibiotics, hanging out in PJs and watching cartoons [again.] She's still pretty nasty sounding but I hope that clears up soon. She's still not eating great so I'll be checking her blood sugar often which is sad in and of itself since when I get the kit out she says, "check?" (for "Blood check") and then sticks out her finger for me to prick :( Poor baby.
I'm still optimistic that today is the turning day and she'll be feeling even better tomorrow!
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


oh, poor baby! Feel better soon Lily!
ReplyDeleteGood for you following your instincts Mama. I'm glad you caught the ear infection early. Hopefully LB will be feeling better in no time.