First off. Yes, this was planned. People seem to think they have the right to ask that. Gosh, what if it wasn't? It's just a rude question and something you should never ask a pregnant woman.
Dennis wanted us to wait a full year after getting married until we tried for a baby. I was a bit more antsy. In fact, that was the only thing we argued about our whole first year of marriage. I use the word "argue" lightly, because Dennis and I don't really argue or fight very often or very passionately I guess I should say. We really, really hate to be mad at each other and we're very conscience of each other feelings. Anyway, so he finally caved and said I could go off my birth control pills around Christmas, kinda like a present! hahaha (This was 4 months shy of our wedding anniversary on April 26th!) So to skip over all the hoolala, it was stressful and it seemed to take forever. I took probably 3 boxes of pregnancy tests, all negative even though I had missed two periods. So I was heartbroken. Finally I called my doctor and told her that I needed something to get my period jumped started again so that we could keep trying. So we went in, took a blood test just to make sure I wasn't pregnant and talked about getting on some hormonal pills to get my period started back up.
Well, obviously, there was no use for that. The next day, April fool's day, I got a call saying I was pregnant! Wow. I was at work, crying, asking the nurse if she was joking haha :) I called Dennis immediately. He was having a bad day out in the rain and stuck in mud doing a site visit. He was ecstatic of course. I then called my mom who yelled out at work "We're having a baby!" haha that was great!
So that's how we found out about it. I was only 4 weeks pregnant. We told only a few friends and all of our family. We wanted to wait to hear the heartbeat but it soon got out that we were hiding something. My friends are observant when they noticed I wasn't drinking. So our close circle knew. We did hear the heartbeat and saw our first glimpse of Lillian at 8weeks where we then let it loose on facebook and such.
Amazingly enough I never got morning sickness. And as crazy as this sounds, I was a little disappointed! I thought it was the biggest indication that you're carrying a life and I never got it. Though I did feel queasy a lot which was when I was thankful I didn't have morning sickness constantly!
I felt Lily move way early in my pregnancy. I think I was 12 weeks? I was on my way to work and I felt a flutter. I gasped and just thought, no, this is just my mind playing tricks on me. But there it was again, a soft little flutter! (It's so amazing thinking about that moment and then looking beside me at her sleeping! ahhhh!) I was so astonished and ignored people telling me it was too early to feel anything, especially in a first pregnancy, or that it was just gas :P
We then got to see Lillian again at 18 weeks where we did the full ultrasound to check her anatomy to make sure everything was growing okay, and to find out the gender! I feel silly saying this now, but we both wanted a boy. My thought was I wanted my future children to have an older brother to look out for them. Dennis thought it would be easier to have a boy first. We were both surprised to find out we were having a little girl! I was shocked, though I don't know why since I had had a dream I was having a little girl.
So that weekend we went and registered for all our baby stuff at babies r us. Man, babies need a lot of stuff!! And again, I feel silly saying this now but I really didn't like pink before I had Lily. I thought it was too girly and I just wasn't much of a girly girl growing up and even now. Sure, I have my girly tendencies like painting my toes hot pink (currently), and wanting to look nice. But I was a tom boy growing up and pink was just not in my life so much. So I registered for purple things (which I still love) but a lot of gender neutral things too which makes me sad. We actually had to go out and buy some pink outfits for her, poor girl hahaah :)
So to make 9 months shorter, I grew and grew, but not too much. I gained 30 pounds throughout the whole pregnancy. My philosophy was that you should not deny yourself, I was making a life, I certainly deserved an extra chocolate chip cookie (my own unwavering desire everyday - and still is!) You should give into your cravings because if you don't, you'll mostly likely still end up giving in and then gorging yourself on it! Everything in moderation!
I had the regular aches and pains but nothing extreme. I always said I was so blessed in my pregnancy. Towards the end I had a lot of trouble sleeping but that was because I was big and bulky and had to get up and pee every hour. I was also certain that Lillian was going to come early. I think mother nature is a jerk about things like that. If you get your hopes up about that she's going to make you wait. And wait we did. I tried EVERYTHING to get her to come. I ate pineapple (enough to cause canker sores in my mouth :( ), I bounced on a birthing ball, I walked and walked, I did nipple stimulation, I tried my pump out, we had sex, I ate spicy foods, I even tried the dreaded castor oil...twice. Ugh. It was awful not being able to do anything about it. Or doing everything about it and having no results.
Anyway, I was scheduled to be induced 9 days late. And so begins the labor story, which I think will have to wait for the next post because my wrists/fingers hurt from typing and I have some laundry to fold before Lily wakes up from her nap!
Listened to Pandora:
Faith Hill - Wild One
Garth Brooks - That Summer
George Strait - Carried Away
Trisha Yearwood - How Do I Live
OneRepublic - Prodigal
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move


No comments:
Post a Comment