Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 26, 2013

An Unintentional Mother's Anthem

You know there are those songs that can make you feel all kinds of emotions; That's when you know you've got a good one. Every time I hear "A Thousand Years" (by glee, because that's how I roll these days) I get a huge, frightening, weirdly comforting ball of emotion stuck in my throat. I feel like I'll either cry, scream, burst with love or die from it all.
I'm not sure that Christina Perri meant for it to be an anthem for mother's but I feel like it's kind of morphed into that. It probably doesn't help that my good friend, Jenna, used the song in the video about her twins journey  (I cannot watch it. I cry every time.) But even before seeing and hearing it there I felt a connection to it. First with Lily Belle and now with her baby sister.
For example,

"The day we met
Frozen I held my breath

Right from the start

I knew that I found a home for my heart" 



Perfect example of becoming a mother. From the day you get to hold your child in your arms you know that your heart is no longer your own, that this precious baby holds so much of you. It's staggering and it's scary but also right.


"Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall"


And this. I listened to these lyrics this morning thinking of my post about praying. I prayed that day that I would see my daughter for more than her diagnosis. I had to be brave enough to let go of what I thought was normal and right and focus on her and what is normal and right for her. I had to look past what the doctors pointed out and remind myself that this was the reason for being, that this tiny little four month old had flipped my entire world upside down but she was still the same tiny four month old that I had promised my heart and life to. I had to let go of my fear, and trust that I was meant for this. 



And the chorus speaks to every mother on some level, whether she had to wait for 3 years, 18 months, even 4 months; The mothers (and fathers!) that had to fight for adoption or willed their child to live through staggering medical hurdles. 

"I have died every day
Waiting for you
Darlin' don't be afraid
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more"


 C'mon, tell me you don't cry when you think of your child and these lyrics?




"And all along I believed
I would find you
Time has brought
Your heart to me
I have loved you for a
Thousand years"




And could you have said it any better??




No comments:

Post a Comment