Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, February 11, 2013

Question 7

"What is your dream job, and why?" - The List

I've given this one a lot of thought, as I try to do with all these questions; a chance to take a moment and really think and feel and ask myself "What would I really love to be doing right now?" 

To answer this question I have to start with a little back story about College. I started college as most, with an undecided major. I then played with the idea of becoming a math teacher - all because I had a really nice math teacher my freshmen year. I then transferred to NCSU, but to do that I had to declare a major...so I picked something that has always called to me: Social Work. I would make the world a better place one family at a time, right? Until I started it and realized how sensitive I really was. I would be crushed and broken in a handful of years. I was back to square one and so I did what any student would do and I tried out all the classes that I could get my hands on. 
To be fair, I was a little lost about who I was and who I was supposed to be and where I wanted to go with my life. But even now, I can still recall that empty feeling like nothing fit me right. I was also miserable at such a big school but you know, that's another story. 
So I dropped out. Yes, sob story indeed. I did 4 years of college and have nothing to show for it on paper but I still stand by my decision today. I was very unhappy, going down a dark road that I had traveled before. I was wasting money and time and it was important for me to choose a different path.

And what does all this have to do with my dream job? Well, I feel the same way about my "dream job" as I did about my major. There are all these things I think I could dabble in (cooking, nursing, counseling, teaching, etc) but nothing - nothing - calls to me like being a mother does.

So, to answer the question in my big roundabout way: I have my dream job. I am a mother and a wife and I run a household. I cook and nurse and counsel and teach every single day. I get to dabble in all the things that call to me and I LOVE doing it. I love folding little clothes and picking up little toys. I love sitting around the dinner table with my family and a home cooked meal that I created. I feel so thankful and blessed to be able to live my dream job every single day. It is what I've always wanted growing up.

Is it perfect? Heck no. Am I happy? Absolutely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment