Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The High Fever of 2011

We have successfully made it through our first big sickness. Yes, Lily Belle has flirted with a low grade fever before and we've struggled with teething and little colds but this past one was a doozy.
It started out with a check up with endocrine. Everything looked great but we decided to up her ddavp, hydrocortisone and growth hormone. We also got her flu shot.
That afternoon Lily Belle wouldn't eat and started yawning like crazy (For the record, this is note worthy because after her seizure the only thing she'd do was yawn so yawning to us a little red flag) we decided to skip dinner and put her straight to bed. When we were changing her we decided to check her temperature, not thinking of a high fever but just a precaution. The numbers jumped to 103 and my heart plummeted into my stomach. Dennis looked at me with wide eyes, "What do we do?"
I have discovered that I am pretty calm and confident in times of stress and chaos so I kind of took control of the situation. We grabbed some ibuprofen, a stress dose and some ice water. Then we put her to bed thinking it was just a side effect of the flu shot.
In the morning things looked great. Lily Belle had a low grade fever of 99.7 but was playing and drinking and even napped just fine. Then around 4pm the 103 fever came back again. So we did the same thing as the night before, stress dosed and ibuprofen. We checked her temperature every few hours. She seemed cooler when we put her to bed. Then I got her up at 3am to give meds and what not and she was burning up so in the dark I checked her temperature again and it was an alarming 104.4! We called the on call doctor and they reassured us that it was a side effect from the shot and that we could bring her in in the morning if we still wanted to.
I'm sure you're thinking, why didn't you just take her to the hospital what with all the risks of a baby with panhypopit and a high fever? Well, my thought was this: What were they going to do that I wasn't doing? Is it worth paying $100+ for? I guess I was waiting for a sign to take her in...a fever over 105 or a seizure. I prayed that didn't happen but I was prepared for it anyways.

So Friday morning we took her in to the doctor and stayed there for 4 hours getting labs and tests done. To make a long story shorter, it turned out she a UTI. Totally blindsided us! We got a prescription for antibiotics and went home. She was totally pitiful and ended up sleeping on me for hours. Nana came and showered her with new fall clothes and ended up holding LB for a few hours while Dennis and I ate dinner.
That night, thankfully, the fever finally broke. It still took her a few days to get back to her normal happy, chatty self but we gave her some slack. I don't think I've heard "No" so often in my life! I guess she was preparing us for her 2-year old attitude (let's hope not!)

Last night was the first night in MONTHS that she slept "through the night" I put her down at 7pm with 5 vials of medicines, yes FIVE medicines! The antibiotics cause her major, painful gas so we've had to add mylicon at night. But it works and she slept peacefully from 7-3am when I had to wake her up to take more meds. She refused water and pointed to her crib to go back to bed! She then slept until about 7am.

Now I remember why "normal moms" brag about their kids sleeping through the night. I feel like a totally different person. I've forgotten what this felt like! (and now my negative side things, next night she gets up a lot is going to be hard since I've gotten a taste of real sleep!) Oh well! Now I actually have to be productive today...maybe even get out of the house and go for a walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment